What must NFL teams make of school football’s reigning sack king?
That is the query we need to have to inquire about Jaylon Ferguson of Louisiana Tech. On one particular hand, the league has an insatiable starvation for pass rushers and will take probabilities on unproven players, enable by yourself kinds who are continuously effective.
Having said that, it is really unusual for pass rushers who are ordinary-at-ideal athletes to arise as elite pass rushers in the NFL.
So what do we make of Ferguson, who was the two remarkably and continuously effective in school, but does not profile as an NFL EDGE rusher? The New York Giants need to have to enhance their pass hurry if they want their protection to get to exactly where it requirements to be. And if they determine to tackle the quarterback place in the 1st spherical, must they appear to a player like Ferguson later in the draft in the hopes that his school manufacturing will have about into the NFL?
Peak: 6-foot-4 ⅜ inches
- Impressive engage in energy. Routinely bullies offensive tackles.
- Very long arms and major hands enable him build leverage and create command early.
- Strong core retains blockers from pushing him close to.
- Ridiculously effective at LA Tech: 187 full tackles, 67.5 TFL, 45. sacks, 6 passes defensed, 7 compelled fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries. All-time FBS sack chief.
- Very good vision and engage in recognition.
- Bodily with excellent motor. Performs tricky and nevertheless the whistle.
- Exhibits some selection in pass hurry moves and plays to his strengths.
- Responsible and disciplined run defender.
- Rigid rusher. Doesn’t exhibit the skill to bend close to the edge.
- 1st move is only ordinary and lacking out of a two-stage stance.
- Doesn’t seem to have great athleticism.
- Off-industry challenge his freshman yr.
Numbers to know
Data from Dan Pizzuta
- Led NCAA with 17.5 sacks in 2018 and was second with 26 tackles for reduction
- Per Sports Details Answers, Ferguson had 63 pressures, which was fifth among school defenders. Having said that, that only turned into 18 hits, which ranked 45th.
Prospect Video clip
What They are Saying
“Ferguson is a lower ceiling, large ground edge defender who would run ideal from a 3-stage stance in the NFL. Ferguson does not have best athletic features, nor will he be a speedy winner off the edge in the NFL, but he’s a sturdy run defender at the stage-of-attack and could undertaking to an inside hurry position on prolonged/late downs. He shouldn’t be considered of as a coveted prospect, but in the mid-rounds, Ferguson can be a valuable more rusher and rotational defender for an NFL workforce.”
— Jon Ledyard (The Draft Network – Scouting Report)
Does He Healthy The Giants?
Ferguson does in shape the Giants’ defensive front, nevertheless it is a query as to how a lot of a support he would be. As the FBS all-time sack chief, he has gaudy manufacturing and clearly has competencies to get to the quarterback. Having said that, he does not seem to have the athletic profile of an impression NFL-caliber EDGE player.
For the Giants he profiles improved as a defensive lineman, actively playing the 5-approach on base downs and either 7-approach defensive conclude or 3-approach defensive deal with on nickel downs. Ferguson could possibly be tiny to be a common 5-approach, but he is a pure bully as a defensive conclude. He is at his ideal when he can line up on a 3 (or 4) stage stance and bullrush about opposing tackles. In addition to his energy, Ferguson reveals impressive core energy to maintain offensive linemen from knocking him off his hurry, as perfectly as a large-revving motor to pursue by way of the echo of the whistle. He also does exhibit excellent hand usage, with suitable placement to command blockers, as perfectly as a perilous rip move to get past tackles who are geared up for his bull hurry.
However, when the Giants do need to have a second pass rusher to engage in off Olivier Vernon (assuming he is a Huge in 2019), they could use a pace rusher who really threatens the edge and can win rapidly. Ferguson’s sport more closely echoes Vernon, relatively than a youthful Justin Tuck (who was an impressive athlete as perfectly as a powerful rusher).
Ferguson appears to be like gradual about any kind of distance, and struggles when compelled to redirect and move laterally. Having said that, he does exhibit impressive recognition of the engage in and is speedy to pull up and pursue display plays when also being disciplined as a run defender.
There is also the make any difference of the off-industry incident which received Ferguson disinvited from the 2019 NFL Mix. A qualifications verify unveiled that he was involved in a battle exterior of a McDonalds as a freshman and was billed with straightforward assault. As much as we know, he has been a excellent citizen and teammate in the several years given that, but the NFL will do its due diligence on the make any difference.
The Giants did job interview Ferguson at the Senior Bowl, so there is at minimum some degree of curiosity. He could be a excellent, even great, benefit if he happens to drop out of the third spherical, but at this stage that appears not likely.