OMG! Russell Wilson could be the quarterback of the upcoming for the Giants?
That circumstance unquestionably set Twitter ablaze Wednesday when a “rumor” was described that Wilson, the star quarterback of the Seahawks, wished out of Seattle and experienced his eyes on the Giants. It was a rumor started out by FS1’s Colin Cowherd, even though it turned into a terrible game of telephone considering the fact that that is not accurately what he mentioned.
What he mentioned was that Wilson’s wife — Ciara — most popular to have her spouse participate in in New York, in accordance to rumors Cowherd heard traveling close to “the entertainment agent entire world.” Staying in New York would be much greater for her job than staying in Seattle, he mentioned. And hey, the Giants really don’t have a franchise quarterback underneath deal for subsequent yr, so …
Yeah, no. This is much more like LOL!
The 30-yr-old Wilson is not going to participate in for the Giants now, or any time before long. And in case you nevertheless insist on residing in that fantasy entire world, here is why that is not going to take place:
- Wilson is underneath deal as a result of the finish of this period, and could be franchised subsequent period (for about $30 million) if he’s not signed to a extended-phrase deal. So really, he’d require to be traded. And if you’re Seattle, what would it consider for you to give up a franchise quarterback in his primary who has presently been to two Super Bowls? Every single decide the Giants have in this year’s draft and maybe a handful of upcoming No. 1s way too? Neglect it.
- The Seahawks went 10-6 last yr and almost gained in Dallas in the first-round of the playoffs. So now you imagine they want to ditch their franchise quarterback and rebuild? Their backup is Brett Hundley (although I suppose they could sign Eli Manning in this absurd circumstance).
- If the Giants obtained him, they’d be accountable for his $17 million salary, which is accurately what they’d help save by then slicing Manning. Alright, that is a clean. But Wilson is due for a new deal and the going charge for a franchise quarterback is somewhere concerning the $30 million per yr Matt Ryan obtained and the $33 million per yr Aaron Rodgers obtained. And considering the fact that franchise quarterback fees seldom go down, he could get as substantially as $35 million per yr. So substantially for any financial savings the Giants could get by transitioning to a young quarterback out of the draft.
- Could the Giants hold out a yr and sign him as a absolutely free agent? Guaranteed. All over again, the value will most likely be anything like $160-170 million in excess of 5 decades, possibly with much more than $100 million confirmed (thank Kirk Cousins for that). And that is assuming he’s at any time a absolutely free agent. You can find no way the Seahawks wouldn’t franchise their franchise quarterback if they really don’t sign him to a extended-phrase deal.
- What, Ciara won’t be able to fly to New York to record songs? Or to Los Angeles, which is a 2 ½ hour flight absent? Apart from, in the internet age, stars can stay any place. Staying in the Media Funds of the Entire world ain’t what it employed to be.
Guaranteed, something can take place.
Just not this.